Discover Xel-Há, a park near Tulum
Xel-Há is one of the places that you cannot miss if you visit Tulum, in the Mayan Riviera. This wonder of nature is located 15 minutes from Tulum, at the federal highway Playa del Carmen-Tulum. The park houses the world’s largest world natural aquarium.
Xel-Há is a name given by the Mayans, and it means "where the water is born". Legend says that the gods wanted a place with the best of nature, so they all joined their love for the beauty to create Xel-Ha. Later, they appointed three guardians to protect the place: “Huh", the iguana, was the guardian of the Earth; "Chuc Kay", the pelican, was the guardian of the air and "Kay Op, the parrot fish, was the keeper of the water. These guardians are still present in our days, taking care of the place and its visitors.
You can practice diving and snorkelling at Xel-ha eco park. Enjoy the company of countless fish and marine species when swimming in the cave where freshwater and saltwater mix. You can walk trails or ride bicycles, and also have a rest and relax at the hammock area.
The Park is open from 9 am to 6 pm. The Xel Há package "All Inclusive" offered by the Park, includes the following:
- National open bar and unlimited non-alcohol beverages at any of the four restaurants in the park
- Continental breakfast from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Lunch buffet from 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- The Meliponary. Xel-Há wants to share with all an ancient Mayan tradition, celebrating a traditional honey harvest twice a year. You will see how hives are cleaned and honey is collected during the June and December full moons.
- Nursery. Built in the rustic style, the Nursery offers numerous programmes aimed to the conservation of this natural reserve.
- The Children's World. Games include: rope climbing, the tunnel of crocodile, paddling pool, water slide and rise and falls. There are also exercises of painting and drawing. Your kids will have fun for hours.
- Tours through gardens and paths in the forest.
- Unlimited snorkel in the river and cave. Snorkel equipment (life jackets, fins and snorkel tube).
- In case you purchase online you can have access to the special ticket booth.
- Lounge chairs, hammocks and rest areas.
- River Tour Xel-Há. The river is the most exciting and joyful attraction. You can practice snorkel upstream or swim quietly among the mangle. On the tour you will find thrilling activities such as the Cliff of Courage, the Jump of the Monkey, the Trepachanga and the Salpichanga, a great way to check your audacity and challenging spirit.
- Use of lockers, changing rooms and a towel.
- Toilets and showers.
- Free parking.
- Your Tour includes transportation only if you add it at the time of your purchase.
- Other services (WiFi, ATMs and shops).
More Tulum Locals stories